The Balanced Flue – everything you need to know
The Balanced Flue – everything you need to know
If you’ve been thinking about a stove then you have had to think about the flue or chimney – but did you know there is a novel flue option for our wood pellet stoves? We want to explain and delve into them a little deeper.
During the design stages of our Wood Pellet Stoves, we were very keen to ensure that a balanced flue was a part of the design brief. The flue operation is similar to that of a gas ‘’combi’’ boiler. The balanced flue allows the stove to be fully sealed because all the air needed for combustion is drawn in from the top of the chimney to then be able to supply the stove. As a result, we designed our stoves to be able to connect to either a conventional 5″flue pipe or a 6” balanced (concentric) flue.
But why worry about a balanced flue?
If you own an eco-home or a passive house and would like your property to be air-tight a balanced flue is the ideal solution. Installing a balanced flue means a property does not need air vents to provide combustion air for the wood stove thus making the stove installation air-tight and more energy efficient.
Having a balanced flue can also increase the combustion efficiency of the wood stove because the incoming air for combustion is pre-heated by the departing flue gases, which means the flue gases are cooler and so less of the energy in the fuel is being lost up the chimney.
Currently, Building Regulations’ Approved Document J guidance suggests that a minimum flue of 4.5m from the top of the appliance is required to safely exhaust the products of combustion of a wood-burning stove , whereas a balanced flue can terminate much lower because the risk of chimney downdraughts has been eliminated by the balanced flue design thereby ensuring that all the products of combustion are always safely led away from your home regardless of the outside weather conditions. Lower chimney heights with balanced flues are possible when the flue termination is in close proximity to a taller building, higher roofs and chimneys.
Because balanced flues can also terminate horizontally this means that you are no longer restricted to a chimney or an outside wall. So you can have your stove in the middle of your room, away from your chimney breast, in your boat house, your shed or wherever you want it!
Discover the Advantages of Balanced Flue Systems for Your Home
Balanced flue systems offer a host of benefits that make them a smart choice for homeowners seeking efficient and safe heating solutions. These systems, designed with precision engineering, provide a balanced approach to ventilation, ensuring optimal performance and safety. Let’s delve into the key benefits of balanced flue systems and explore why they are the ideal choice for your home.
- Enhanced Safety: Balanced flue systems are renowned for their safety features. By drawing in fresh air from outside and expelling combustion gases through a sealed flue, these systems prevent the risk of harmful emissions entering your living space. This not only safeguards your health but also contributes to a cleaner and healthier indoor environment.
- Energy Efficiency: Achieve superior energy efficiency with a balanced flue system. The sealed combustion chamber minimizes heat loss, allowing you to maximize the use of the energy generated. This efficiency not only reduces your energy bills but also makes a positive impact on the environment by lowering your carbon footprint.
- Versatility in Installation: One of the standout features of balanced flue systems is their flexibility in installation. These systems can be easily fitted in various locations within your home, providing homeowners with more options for positioning their heating appliances. This adaptability ensures that you can enjoy the benefits of balanced flue systems regardless of your home’s layout.
- Quiet Operation: Say goodbye to noisy heating systems. Balanced flue systems are designed for quiet operation, creating a comfortable and peaceful living environment. Enjoy the warmth without the disturbance, making these systems perfect for bedrooms, living rooms, and other areas where tranquility is valued.
- Compliance with Regulations: As regulations regarding indoor air quality and safety continue to evolve, balanced flue systems remain compliant with stringent standards. Investing in these systems ensures that your heating setup meets or exceeds industry regulations, providing you with peace of mind.
Upgrade your home heating experience with the superior benefits of balanced flue systems. Explore our range of advanced solutions at Island Pellet Stoves and embrace a safer, more efficient, and environmentally conscious heating solution for your home.
We have technical page on the balanced flue see here.